New paint is one of the first things to consider when looking to remake or update a room. Painting takes work and time, but it is one of the quickest and most inexpensive ways to change the look and feel of a room.
• If you aren’t sure where to begin with color, test a small room or area first.
• Consider the mood of the room when selecting the color. Soft, cool colors and neutrals usually create a more calm feeling while bold, strong colors add drama.
• Pay attention to the lighting in the room. Natural lighting shows the truest color, incandescent lighting brings out warm tones and yellows, and fluorescent lighting adds a sharp blue tone.
• Decorative finishes add depth to rooms. Visual texture transforms dull walls into eye-catching areas while layered glazes and metal finishes add depth.
• Consider adjacent rooms when choosing the color in order to create an even flow throughout the house.
A little painting can go a long way to add character to your home.
To find out more, visit HGTV.