The path to home ownership can be a great time for you and your family. But this process is one that brings new responsibilities into the fold. Many older homes may contain harmful building materials and substances that need to be dealt with.
Homes or buildings built prior 1980 have a strong chance of containing asbestos, a fibrous mineral that was heavily used in building applications throughout the 20th century. Because asbestos has fire resistant and durable qualities, many in the construction industries viewed it as the ideal choice for insulation in piping, roofing and flooring. It was later discovered that the mineral can be highly corrosive and cause serious health problems.
Even homes built in the 1990’s have a small chance of harvesting asbestos due to the vermiculite insulation that came from a mine that contained a large amount of asbestos.
Through a professional home inspection process, you will receive information concerning all of the aspects in a home. As a homeowner, you can avoid asbestos exposure by taking some easy precautions. If asbestos is suspected, a property inspector will evaluate your home and make sure it is free and clear of any harmful materials!
Home Inspections & Asbestos Tips
A home inspection is extremely important in a variety of scenarios. In order to protect your investment, professional consultants can provide an evaluation of the home. Consultants will identify material defects structures and components of the home, in adherence to or exceeding national, state, and industry regulations and standards.
Your home may need structural inspections or even renovations and a home inspector can identify any materials that will be a problem. Through a professional consultation, home inspectors equipment and expertise have made this into a valuable process that rapidly studies any areas of concern.
When dealing with any suspected asbestos, there are certain commonalities and themes to take into account. If asbestos remains un-disturbed and in good condition, it does not pose any health risks. If the asbestos is in a deteriorated state and loose, then it will be a problem because its toxic fibers will move into the air. As a home or property owner, asbestos can appear in roof shingles, attic insulation, pipe coverings, joint compounds, electrical wires, furnace cement, fire brick and gaskets.
When an individual inhales airborne asbestos fibers, it can lead to the development of a severe form of asbestos lung cancer called mesothelioma. This chronic illness has a latency period that can last 20 to 50 years until it develops. This makes a mesothelioma life span not as positive as one would hope because of the difficulty in diagnosing it. With the right amount of awareness and a home inspection, it is completely avoidable and preventable to keep yourself away from asbestos!
Asbestos Removal and Healthy Tips
Asbestos removal in public facilities, workplaces and homes must be performed by licensed abatement contractors who are trained in handling toxic substances. They will be familiar with the regulations in protecting you and themselves from exposure to asbestos. They must wear protective equipment such as masks and gloves to avoid any exposure. The area is usually isolated from the rest of the house by shutting down ventilation systems and sealing them.
The New York State Department of Health has an asbestos program that can assist citizens and homeowners with pertinent information in regards to the usefulness of a home inspection and the safe handling/removal of asbestos. (If necessary) These types of public programs help protect and promote the physical and environmental health of citizens from asbestos exposure.
There are many green, healthy materials that replace the need for asbestos and can reduce energy costs annually such as: cotton fiber, lcynene foam and cellulose. Cotton fiber is quickly becoming a favorite for home builders and renovators. Made from recycled batted material, it is also treated to be fireproof. If you are a home owner and suspect that asbestos is present, make sure to call a home inspector immediately to determine the proper course of action.