Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, smell or taste CO, it can be deadly before you even know it is in your home.
At lower levels of exposure, CO causes symptoms that can be mistaken for flu, such as nausea, headaches and dizziness. At higher levels, the effects can be fatal.
Follow these steps to reduce exposure to CO in your home:
Keep gas appliances properly adjusted.
Install and use an exhaust fan vented to the outdoors over gas stoves.
Open flues when the fireplace is in use.
Do not leave a car engine running in the garage.
Hire a trained professional to inspect, clean and tune-up the heating system.
Use properly sized wood stoves certified to meet EPA standards.
Purchase at least one CO alarm for your home.
For more information, go to www.epa.gov.
Or visit our website at: http://www.npiweb.com/sansone